Monday, May 11, 2015

Day 9

Today we got to the ranch around 1:30 and started work right away. Today we would be working on leading by the feet and laying the colt down, also gave him his first bath. We put him in the arena today because the sand it thicker so it would be more comfortable for Disco to lay down in. I got my rope and set it on the ground in front of his left front hoof my dad pulled him into it so we could get started with the lesson. Once we had the rope in place my dad took off the lead and I went off at a angle and started pulling, he did his two front feet great cause he just wanted to follow me around so we moved on to the hind feet, on the hind feet you get him to back up instead of lead forward. He had a little fit and kicked a lot but he soon understood the lesson and we moved on the the next exercise after doing the other hind foot, Laying the horse down... I  had to have my dad help me with this exercise cause there would be a lot of fighting in this. When we put the rope back on his front foot and wrapped it around his stomach I held the lead so he wouldn't give my dad two eyes and my dad would pull him off balance. We picked up his feet a few times then wrapped the lead around his foot and did two half hitches so it wouldn't come undone, it cane out a few times before he flopped but we finally got the hang of it. So i stood out in front to have him not give my dad two eyes and my dad pulled off at a angle to pull him off balance (Your not trying to make the horse lay down your just making it uncomfortable for him not to). He went down on one knee a bunch of tomes before he finally went down. When he was down we rubbed all over him and desensitized him on the ground. Finally i asked him to get up, it took some persuading to make him get up but he finally did. We rubbed on him for a long time before asking him to go again. It took longer the second time but he did end up on the ground, im not to sure why but he about did i flip before making it to the ground. I rubbed all over him for a long time then we walked him up front for his first bath ever! He did great for his first time and played with the water hose a lot, he really likes water! I walked him back with no trouble at all and put him back in his corral and gave him some feed. I also rode my horse Texas around today bareback without a bridle he is the best horse ever! I Had a great day at the ranch.
I LOVE MY HORSES!


Leading by the front feet.
 
Leading by the hind feet.
 
Trying to get him to lay down.
 
First time laying down.
(He did not want to get up)
 
Second time laying down.
(He fell asleep and was snoring)
 
First bath.
YAY!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment