Saturday, May 16, 2015

Day 14 - First day obstacles

 
Today we got to the ranch late around 4:30 cause it was really hot today. We started out again with just letting Disco graze for awhile before getting started.


Me and Disco after two weeks!

We where on our way over to the roundpen when we passed the obstacles and decided why not try? At first there was no way that Disco was gonna go over the logs but after awhile he understood and did it great at a walk and trot.


In the middle of doing the jumps he freaked out and we had to work him really hard all over the place then cane back and he never did it again. Clinton says to make the right thing easy and the wrong thing difficult, do it as easy as possible but as firm as necessary and always reward the slightest try. We ended when he was doing good and desensitized him to the ultimate weapon! AKA my brother.

Micah my brother, the ultimate weapon :)

We quit him then because he was doing great and we didn't wanna ask for too much too soon. We gave him his normal scoop of feed and two flakes of alfalfa then went to refill his water. When I was done with Disco I went and rode my horse who my mom had already worked on the ground.

Mom and Texas
 
Texas was doing great just loping around the ranch doing whatever I asked him to do whenever I asked for it until the feeder went off and the other horses got food and he didn't. I rode him for a long time after that and he didn't act up when the feeder went off for too long.


Me and Texas

 So I unsaddled him and went over to Discos pen to say bye to my brother (He was spending the night with a friend). Today was 2 weeks of training already done and Disco is doing better than I ever thought he would be! (You might think that we just got lucky with a good mustang but trust me we went through some pretty rough stuff and he is doing good cause we are using the Downunder Horsemanship Method which in my opinion is the absolute best thing that ever happened in horse training!) We are about to start trailer loading with him so we can take him to the vet and tick spray then all over the place! Can't wait to take him to the beach!
 
Micah and Lucky

No comments:

Post a Comment