Saturday, May 16, 2015

Day 13 - Turnout gone bad :(

   Yesterday we went to the ranch a about 1:00. When we got there I got Disco out of his pen and let him graze for awhile.

Whacking the tree while Disco grazes
 
Unclipped!
Disco likes Monster :)

When he was grazing we where desensitizing him to anything we could find (mostly my brother). After letting him graze with our other horses on he lead for awhile we unclipped his lead and let him out with our guys and the first thing he did was go up to our alpha (Texas) and they started licking and itching each other then they would just follow each other around... WHAT?!?!
Buddies?? Not yet!!



They apparently liked each other still and where buddies. He stayed by us for a long time until my dad started walking and Disco would follow him then my brothers horse, Lucky, went up to Disco pinned his ears, bit him, then swung around and kicked him three times with one leg. When that happened Texas and Comanche came over and they all ganged up on Disco. Instead of running Disco ran backwards and kicked Comanche really hard in the chest. Texas got mad and went to move Disco but he wouldn't budge so Texas turned around and did a pathetic little kick that he uses to make the other horses move but Disco was like oh ya watch this! Swung around and kicked Texas really hard but Texas kicked back even harder cause there was no way he was moving his feet for that little pipsqueak so they got in a bad fight then Texas kicked Disco so hard that he squealed! Disco kicked Texas and then he ran a circle and came to just completely attack Disco, luckily my dad got there in time to stop them before someone got seriously injured. When my dad stopped them Disco walked up to my dad then I came in the truck and came over to clip my lead on. Once we had him all clipped up we took him back over to he horses and they all grazed together. BAD LUCKY! When we where done with that we took Disco over to the arena, tied him up to the trailer and had lunch before starting work with Disco. When we where done with lunch I started working with Disco just doing review and some new stuff like different methods of backing and a little circle driving. When I started lunging stage 2 with him again he was pinning his ears some on the turns so I had to drive him harder and that fixed the problem right away but then I was having a hard time getting him to turn. I ended up getting him to do it ok but my friend got to the ranch so I gave Disco to my dad and went to see my friend. Micah also did laying down with Lucky again twice while we where working. My mom was riding her horse that is a bit lazy and when she made him move out he bucked but this time she stayed on and worked him more so I guess he wont do that again at least for awhile anyways. My dad even did some jumping over barrels with Disco. At first he just plowed through them but he ended up jumping great! Before we left I got on my moms horse and worked him hard for awhile until it started to rain and we where all ready to go. We put Disco up and gave him another scoop of feed and 2 flakes of alfalfa. He really likes feed but still hasn't quite figured out treats. He is going to be a really good horse! Cant wait to get started in the morning!

We have been listening to lots of disco lately!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Melia! Do the Hustle! ( : aunt Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Melia! Do the Hustle! ( : aunt Claire

    ReplyDelete