Sunday, August 23, 2015

Getting ready for Fort Worth!

On the 12th we had to put Disco back into his own pasture because he was getting a lot of cuts and bites from the other horses and we want him to look his best for the competition! We also bought him zebra print fly sheet, tail wrap, and head cover for the last few weeks. That didn't last long... we decided not to use the fly sheet, the tail wrap wouldn't stay on, and he ripped his head piece to shreds! (we did order a new head piece, so that's the only thing he will have now) We have been working mostly on the same thing every day, run through the trail and handling and conditioning stuff, then do our freestyle routine at least 3 times in a row. He had been doing really good on his freestyle until the past week, he started getting bored with it and just really not trying at all... He has also had enough time to figure me out and know what he can get away with and what I will correct him on. After a rain day, my parents decided to let me and Disco have some time to ourselves and go out the back gate for awhile. (apparently I got a little carried away) Behind our ranch there are thousands of acres of land that you can do what ever you want on! There are crops, open fields, trees that you can go on a amazing trail ride through, sand pits, and to top it all of it opens up to the laguna atascosa national wildlife refuge! Me and Disco went up and down hills, jumped over some irrigation stuff, did a lot of C-Patterns, Backing, Lead Beside, and loping line driving, saw some scary obstacles, and even ran through our routine twice since their was some junk laying around that was similar to the positioning of our props. After about 2 hours my mom called me and asked where I was and to start heading back because it was about time to leave. (oops) We didn't stop doing stuff the entire time so it still took us an hour to get back and even then my dad came to pick us up in the truck. :D It was WAY one of my favorite days with him and it really boosted my confidence in myself as being a good leader! The next day he was so responsive and did everything I asked! We couldn't even find anything that would scare him so we didn't exactly have a spooky item of the day! Getting really exciter for Fort Worth!!!

  The winner of the St. Louis Extreme Mustang Makeover, Allison Elfrink joined the No Worries Club after her competition and since then we have been able to exchange information and help each other out with our training, she has been a huge help to me and Disco and I hope that her and Chico continue to work as a great team!



No comments:

Post a Comment