Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Day 39 - Review


Today we went to the ranch around 7:00 and started working Disco almost right away. First we gave Disco some feed and alfalfa pellets and while he was eating I haltered up Texas and put some war paint on his face. :D I put a green circle around his eye and three orange stripes on his nose, he was super cute! (but the other horses are probably making fun of their "fearless leader" with spots & stripes:) When Disco was eating i got out a bubble wand and started blowing them around him while he was eating, he was not happy! He didn't like them one bit and it took him awhile for him to finally get used to them but for sure will have to do it again. ;) As soon as Disco finished eating I let Tek go then went and haltered up Disco. I first started out doing lunging for respect stage 2 (usually start out doing this exercise because it gets him moving his feet and using the thinking side of his brain) I started liberty today to C: well... more like he started it, when I was lunging him I accidently dropped the lead when I changed directions and he  continued going in a circle around me so I just pretended I still had the lead rope in my hand then I tried to yield his hind quarters and hoped he would do what I asked and not just run off, surprisingly he did what I asked then walked to me, I desensitized and flexed him on both sides then I moved on and backed him circles around barrels and poles then did some side passing. When I finished side passing I stopped, desensitized and flexed him, then started doing circle driving transitions on the long line. I had to wake him up a bit when he started running sorta sideways and pulling on me but once I did he did great. Also did throw to a stop which he does really well, whenever he sees the rope coming he just instantly stops, relaxes, and waits for me to tell him what to do next. I did a couple other exercises then finished him off with run up and rub and desensitizing to the plastic bag. Boy is he good at run up and rub, I can run up to him yelling, screaming, waving my arms in the air, clapping, jumping, throwing the lead rope at him, and even running up and just about jumping on his back. He is getting so good at everything and probably by next month we will have finished Colt Starting, Fundamentals, Intermediate, Advanced, and Trick Training!



Blowing bubbles ;)



1 comment: