Sunday, September 20, 2015

First Ride!

On the 18th we road Disco for the first time! It had rained pretty much the whole time we were at the Makeover and the ranch was a complete mud pit, so we decided to ride disco for the first time on the beach! It's only fitting for a mustang, right? My mom was really nervous, but me and my dad both wanted to do it on the beach. So we loaded up all the horses and took them to the beach around 5:00, after riding Disco we didn't have time to ride the rest, but we will go again soon! We started Disco out with sending him with his saddle next to the waves for a minute and making sure he remembered them, he didn't but it didn't take him long to get in! Then I worked him for awhile on the hard sand, and after that it was time to put the bridle on! We slipped his halter off, put his bridle on, and he took the bit really good. But it took him awhile to get used to it, he couldn't decide whether to put tongue over the bit or under it, and I don't think he closed his mouth for a long time! Finally! Time to ride him! Since you are supposed to do the first ride in the roundpen and we didn't have one, my dad put the long line on Disco so he could control him. After that I put my helmet on, stood in one stirrup and slapped the other side of him a couple times, then hopped on! It was such an awesome feeling to be on his back, after four months of groundwork we were both way ready! I started out with flexing him from left 2 right for about 5 minutes, then moved on to Hind End, Front End, which was kinda hard to do it not in a round pen and on a lead, so it was a little slower than how Clinton does it. Then we did walk, trot, canter, then some inside turns, then yielding his hind quarters from a standstill, then a little bit of backing. I had 2 do a lot of flexing at different points during the ride because he was kinda stiff at it, bet he road really awesome! after about 45 minutes we decided that it was probably long enough for his first ride, so then I Dismounted him and took him up to the trailer, loaded him up, and took him home! It was a AwEsOmE first ride!!! Cant wait to ride him again!




1 comment: